What a great weekend this is going to be! Local Yarn Store Day Saturday, Earth Day and Sample Sale Sunday. Unlike Earth Day, which has been celebrated for many years and has quite a following, Local Yarn Store Day is a new event intended to bring attention to those brick and mortar operations that sell yarn. Since you're reading this, you are obviously a customer of my shop, and probably other local yarn shops. You might also have ordered from one of the many on-line yarn retailers, or gotten a skein or two at one of the big box craft stores. But I hope most of your purchases are with local yarn shops - mine or someone else's - because your purchases keep our doors open. But wait...is that important? With so many other places to get yarn, do we really even need local yarn shops anymore? I think yes, because a local yarn store is so much more than a place that sells yarn.
A local yarn store is real life - it's seeing, touching, and testing the yarns with nothing between you and the fiber. It's community - meeting other knitters and crocheters - talking face to face. It's an interactive exchange. It's a place where you and others like you can belong and become. It's local small business contributing to a vibrant economy and a creative lifestyle. It's home.
If you're a list kind of gal, here are my Top 12 Reasons to love shopping at your Local Yarn Store
- You can tell what color the yarn actually is
- You can touch the yarn and see how it feels
- You can hold the colors up to your face and see whether or not they flatter your complexion
- You can put two or more colors together, side-by-side, in real life and see how they go.
- You can take a class with a real person
- You can have an instructor watch what you do and help you get it just right
- You have a place at the table to hang out and work on your project.
- You can meet new people and make new friends more easily because you already know you have something in common with every single person around the table.
- You can try on the shop samples before you commit to knitting a thing
- You can get great feedback from the people in the shop on patterns, yarns, techniques, and more.
- You can go there and get back on track when you have (or think you have) messed up royally
- You can get away from your real life at the LYS where you're free to just be you
To show you that we love you too, this Local Yarn Store Day we're doing what we do best - giving you a real-life experience and community. You'll have a chance to try almost every yarn in the shop with a skein of it wound and ready to knit or crochet. We have exclusive hand-dyed yarns and patterns available only at local yarn shops, and we're having a pot-luck all day. Bring something yummy to share and sample what others have made. Knit, taste, share, hang out. Try the yarns you've been eyeing, and choose something you love. Every purchase enters you in a raffle for a cool prize.
I look forward to seeing you for a great day in the shop and around the table - You are always welcome here.